Citations de développeurs célèbres

Pour vous, quelles sont les meilleures citations sur le développement ?

2 « J'aime »

Une petite leçon d’humilité de la part de Bill Gates

Le succès est un mauvais professeur. Il pousse les gens intelligents à croire qu’ils sont infaillibles.

5 « J'aime »

Voici quelques citations que j’aime bien :

Les programmes doivent être faits pour être lus par des gens, et occasionnellement pour être exécutés par des machines.
― Hal Abelson

Codez toujours comme si la personne qui allait maintenir votre code était un violent psychopathe qui sait où vous habitez.
― John Woods

Mesurer la progression du développement d’un logiciel à l’aune de ses lignes de code revient à mesurer la progression de la construction d’un avion à l’aune de son poids
— Bill Gates

Neuf femmes ne peuvent pas faire un bébé en un mois
—Fred Brooks

La refactorisation c’est comme faire la vaisselle après la cuisine.
—Toby Parkins

5 « J'aime »

Sans hésiter, Larry Wall

The three chief virtues of a programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubris.

Donald Knuth

On devrait repousser les petites améliorations de l’efficacité dans environ 97% des cas, car une optimisation prématurée est la racine de tout le mal

Et celle, un peu longue, de Tony Hoare

I call it my billion-dollar mistake. It was the invention of the null reference in 1965. At that time, I was designing the first comprehensive type system for references in an object oriented language (ALGOL W). My goal was to ensure that all use of references should be absolutely safe, with checking performed automatically by the compiler. But I couldn’t resist the temptation to put in a null reference, simply because it was so easy to implement. This has led to innumerable errors, vulnerabilities, and system crashes, which have probably caused a billion dollars of pain and damage in the last forty years.

3 « J'aime »

@camilleroux Haha le coup des 9 femmes je le dis au moins une fois par semaine au travail.

Pour ceux que ça intéresse j’ai une petite application web pour recenser ce genre de citations :

http://webcitation.fr/

N’hésitez pas à me faire des Pull-request :D

1 « J'aime »

"Mal nommer les choses, c’est ajouter au malheur du monde."
Albert Camus

J’en ai toute une flopée envoyée récemment par un de mes mentors / gourous :)
J’en ai d’autres éparpillées dans plein de fichiers texte sur plein de machines.
Commençons par la simplicité :

"Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n’y a plus
rien à ajouter, mais quand il n’y a plus rien à retrancher."
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, “Terre des hommes”

"The unavoidable price of reliability is simplicity."
C.A.R. Hoare

"Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it.
Geniuses remove it."
Alan Perlis, 1982, “Epigram in Programming”, #58

"There are two ways of constructing a software design; one way is to
make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the
other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious
deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult."
C. A. R. Hoare, 1980 Turing Award Lecture

"the cost of adding a feature isn’t just the time it takes to code it.
The cost also includes the addition of an obstacle to future
expansion. … The trick is to pick the features that don’t fight each
other."
John Carmack

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
definition, not smart enough to debug it."
Brian W. Kernighan and P. J. Plauger, “The Elements of Programming Style”

2 « J'aime »

Et une très bien sur les ayatollahs de telle ou telle nouvelle techno :

"I would advise students to pay more attention to the fundamental ideas rather than the latest technology. The technology will be out-of-date before they graduate. Fundamental ideas never get out of date.
However, what worries me about what I just said is that some people would think of Turing machines and Goedel’s theorem as fundamentals. I think those things are fundamental but they are also nearly irrelevant.
I think there are fundamental design principles, for example structured programming principles, the good ideas in “Object Oriented” programming, etc."
David Parnas

Classique:

There will be two kinds of people in the world, those who tell computers what to do, and those who’re told by computers what to do.

Marc Andreesen

Ou son corrolaire:

Programm or be programmed

Ma favorite :

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things.

– Phil Karlton

2 « J'aime »

Haha énorme, je dois passer 50% de mon temps de dev à choisir le nom de mes variables…

Human Coders - Le centre de formation recommandé par les développeur·se·s pour les développeur·se·s